Tuesday, December 14, 2010

We are here ...

Add me to the list of self-indulgent folks who are now blogging.
I thought that this might be a good way to share my stories of my move, my adventure in my new home and what ever else I feel like talking about. And if you are a friend of mine, you know how I love to talk. :^)

I will start out with deep gratitude for all the wonderful love I have left on Maui, at least physically. I know that those I love will always be there as I will always be here for them, where ever we may be living. I am not sure how I will ever be able to repay the kindnesses I was fortunate enough to share on Maui. Thank you from all over my heart, not just the bottom.

Now some deep gratitude for the love I have here now in Austin. I don't know how will ever be able to repay the kindnesses I have been blessed enough to experience here ... and the many wonderful blessings yet to come. I must have done something right in a past life to be so lucky.

Ok, on to the adventure.
Getting here was hell.
Traveling  about 18 hours across half the Pacific, across the entire continental US, and then back a couple thousand miles back to central Texas ... with a cat in a canvas bag in the cabin ... was something only an idiot would do.  I will add that to my list of things I have done.
Rudy the Cat was not happy with the adventure. He had a couple of down moments and that was about it. He meowed in some way almost the entire trip, yowling on landings and take offs and several times during the 9 hours plane ride to Atlanta. I sat next to a nice man named Tim in the service who lived in Honolulu who was doing a 9 month stint in Atlanta. His flight was not quite as challenging as mine however he did have to sit next to us ... and he has recently seen combat twice so our little traumas were not such a big deal for him. Thank God. He never did tell what he did yet he referenced psychologists a few times so maybe he was a shrink which may have been another blessing ... ?
I went to the bathroom a few times when he got really anxious and let him cruise around, best as a cat can in an airplane bathroom. Bending over and letting him hang out on my back for awhile worked well. I gave him a couple of sedatives which just made him more anxious.
All I can say I am glad it is over and as God is my witness I hope I never talk my self into traveling with a cat in an airplane ever again.

I live in a motor home in my dear friends Jacquie and Roger's back yard in Shady Hollow, South Austin, "Bubba Land",  just  south of Austin city limits, just north of the Travis County-Hayes County border. We ate migas in Buda on the way home form the airport. For the gringos it is homemade corn tortillas cut up and fried then cooked with scrambled eggs, onion, tomatoes and cheese, served with homemade refried beans and homemade flour tortillas. I was starving, it was mana from heaven on a plate, I ate like a horse, I could not finish all the food that was on my plate, and it cost $5.50.
I may be in heaven.

More later ... Holiday Love to all and to all a good night.
ox ox
Aloha Laura in Austin

3 comments:

  1. Hey Girl,
    I hope all is well, and that you and the cat are adjusting to your new reality.
    I hope we can stay in touch, I know it has been a while.
    So, what now?
    I hope I can be of support to you as you transition. Maybe you will come and visit. You are more than welcome to stay at my place if you decide to head this way.
    We should talk soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmm...migas with extra cheese, please! I figured that would be the first place Roger would take you! You're hooked now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Laura! Traveling with a cat is insane. I know, I travelled around the world with a cat that rode on boats, trains, planes, motorcycles, bemos (in Indonesia)and buses. You are a brave woman. Especially moving from Maui to Austin. Fortunately, you are a strong lady. I know that the Argels will miss you - and it is good to you back on the mainland. We do have to communicate more frequently. I will read your blog as one way of making it happen.
    Morgan

    ReplyDelete